The Sentence: Definition, Structure & Types
Definition: A group of words that makes complete sense is called a sentence.
When we speak or write we use some words. We use these words in groups. But any group of words will not necessarily express a complete thought,
Ex: The Gym to daily goes he.
This is a group of words. Does it make any sense? Obviously not. Now we arrange these words in their proper order and rewrite it,
- He goes to the gym daily.
Now, this makes complete sense & it is a correct sentence.
Kinds of Sentences
There are four different types of sentences:
- Assertive or, Declarative Sentence
- Imperative Sentence
- Interrogative Sentence
- Exclamatory Sentence
Assertive or, Declarative Sentence (Definition, Uses With Examples)
A sentence that makes a statement or assertion is called an Assertive Sentence.
- He loves pets. (Affirmative)
- I do not like smoking. (Negative)
Imperative Sentence (Definition, Uses With Examples)
A sentence that expresses a command, advice, request, or prohibition is called an Imperative Sentence.
- Come here.
- Go there.
- Do not make a noise in the classroom.
- Please open the door.
- Do not eat fast food.
Interrogative Sentence (Definition, Uses With Examples)
A sentence that asks a question is called an Interrogative sentence.
- What is your name?
- Where do you live?
- How many teams are playing in the IPL Tournament 2022?
- Do you like Pizza?
Exclamatory Sentence (Definition, Uses With Examples)
A sentence that expresses a sudden or strong feeling/ expression is called an exclamatory sentence.
- What a beautiful girl!
- How tall she is!
- Hurrah! India has won the world cup.
- Alas! He is no more.
Note: Must Remember
Every sentence must begin with a capital letter.
Assertive and Imperative sentence ends with a full stop, i.e. [.]
Interrogative sentences end with an Interrogative or question mark, i.e. [?]
An Exclamation mark [!] is must be placed at the end of every Exclamatory sentence.IBPS Exam Results…
And Finally, Sentence (Definition, Types and Their Uses)
इस प्रकार ऊपर वर्णित Sentence उसके प्रकार एवं उनके सही उपयोग के नियमों को ध्यान में रखते हुए आप परीक्षा में पूछे जानेवाले प्रश्नों के सही उत्तर दे पाने में सक्षम हो पायेंगे.
इसके अतिरिक्त भी अन्य नियमों का उल्लेख आगे के Chapter में किया जाएगा, अगर आपको यह जानकारी उपयोगी लगी, तो इसे Facebook एवं Whatsapp पर अपने प्रतिस्पर्धी दोस्तों के साथ अवश्य शेयर करें…
- The Number: Types, Rules, Uses With Examples & Worksheet
- Gender: Types, Uses With Examples & Worksheet
- Countable and Uncountable Nouns, Usage, Examples & Worksheets
- Pronoun: Definition, Types & Uses With Examples
- Cases Of Noun: Types & Uses With Examples
- The Sentence: Definition, Structure & Types
- Objects And Compliments: Difference and Uses
- Phrase And Clause: Definition, Difference & Uses